Skip to main content

Research Repository

Advanced Search

Absence of Chlamydia pneumoniae in brain of vascular dementia patients

Wozniak, Matthew A.; Wilcock, Gordon K.; Itzhaki, Ruth F.; Cookson, Ann

Authors

Matthew A. Wozniak

Gordon K. Wilcock

Ruth F. Itzhaki

Ann Cookson



Abstract

We recently detected cytomegalovirus (CMV) in brains of 83% of vascular dementia (VaD) patients and 34% of age-matched normal people. Since CMV and also Chlamydia pneumoniae (Cpn) have been found in some studies to be associated with coronary artery disease (which shares several risk factors with VaD), we sought Cpn DNA in VaD brain DNA. We examined brain specimens from 19 VaD patients, 16 elderly normal people and four Alzheimer's disease (AD) patients for the presence of a sequence in the Cpn gene for rRNA, using polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and taking stringent precautions against contamination. We did not detect Cpn DNA in any of the brain specimens, the sensitivity of detection being 10 copies or fewer bacterial DNA sequences per tube or, in terms of infectious units (IFU), 0.025 IFU. Our results do not support a role for Cpn in the aetiology of VaD, either in the 83% of patients in whose brains we detected CMV, or in the remaining 17% without CMV in brain. © 2002 Elsevier Science Inc. All rights reserved.

Citation

Itzhaki, R. F., Wilcock, G. K., Wozniak, M. A., & Cookson, A. (2003). Absence of Chlamydia pneumoniae in brain of vascular dementia patients. Neurobiology of Aging, 24(6), 761-765. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0197-4580%2802%2900236-1

Journal Article Type Article
Publication Date Jan 1, 2003
Journal Neurobiology of Aging
Print ISSN 0197-4580
Publisher Elsevier
Peer Reviewed Peer Reviewed
Volume 24
Issue 6
Pages 761-765
DOI https://doi.org/10.1016/S0197-4580%2802%2900236-1
Keywords chlamydia pneumoniae, vascular dementia, cytomegalovirus, Alzheimer’s disease, polymerase chain reaction, herpes simplex virus type 1
Public URL https://uwe-repository.worktribe.com/output/1067580
Publisher URL http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0197-4580(02)00236-1




Downloadable Citations